Friends of the Arboretum Lecture
"Ripple Effect: Combining Horticulture and Aquaculture Ecology"
Jeremy Schmidt and Meghan Fidler, Ph.D., Plant Delights Nursery
- Thursday, January 9, 2020 – 7:30 pm–9:00 pm
Jeremy and Meghan recently finished their backyard water garden. In this presentation, they will discuss the design and installation of this water feature and its maintenance and enjoyment.
About Jeremy Schmidt and Meghan Fidler, Ph.D.
Jeremy Alden Schmidt is the research and grounds supervisor at Plant Delights Nursery and Juniper Level Botanic Garden (2008–present) and owner of a small business, HortCo, The Horticulture Company, (1998–present). He earned a Bachelor's degree in landscape horticulture from Southern Illinois University, Carbondale (2005), and gained curatorial and research experience at Longwood Gardens (2006). His extensive hands on experience has led him to innovate radical techniques for organically amending soil and creating garden spaces. By incorporating stone into the garden, Jeremy promotes the marriage of living art and ex situ botanical diversity in the landscape. In the past three years, Jeremy has stacked over one million pounds of stone in specialized garden beds, supporting over 3,000 plant taxa.
Meghan Sarah Fidler is the nursery manager at Plant Delights Nursery and Juniper Level Botanic Garden (2017–present). She earned a Ph.D. in cultural anthropology at the four field school provided by Southern Illinois University, specializing in the relationships between people, plants, and technology (2014). Her regional specialization is East Asia, with primary emphasis in Japan (three years), China (two years), and Taiwan (one year). Her research emphasized the way cultures perceive botanic space, incorporating the experience of symbolic meaning for elements of the garden in ethnobotany.
- Free for Friends of the JC Raulston Arboretum members, NC State University students (with ID), and Department of Horticultural Science faculty and staff, all others $5.00.
- Advance registration is not available. Check-in available at the door.
- Ruby C. McSwain Education Center, JC Raulston Arboretum at NC State University, 4415 Beryl Road, Raleigh, North Carolina.
- Need directions? Click here.
- Free parking is available at the JC Raulston Arboretum and along Beryl Road.
- Please call (919) 513-7005 for more information about this lecture.