North American Rock Garden Society (Piedmont Chapter) Lecture
Cohosted by the Piedmont Chapter of the North American Rock Garden Society and the JC Raulston Arboretum
"Breeding Better Perennials from a Gardener’s Perspective"
Hans Hansen, Director, New Plant Development, Walters Gardens
- Saturday, September 28, 2019 – 10:00 am–11:30 am
Hans Hansen is the director of new plant development at Walters Gardens, in Zealand, Michigan, a leading wholesale grower of perennials in North America. He has worked extensively with many North American native plants, including Baptisia, Hibiscus, Phlox, Monarda, and Heuchera. He also has worked with Hosta, Kniphofia, Achillea, and ×Mangave (a hybrid between Agave and Manfreda). Hans will be speaking on the topic of breeding outstanding perennials, combining traditional plant breeding methods and germplasm, from the gardener 's viewpoint, to achieve new plants. This is a wonderful opportunity to get some behind the scenes insight on how exciting new plants are being developed.
- Free for North American Rock Garden Society (Piedmont Chapter) members and Friends of the JC Raulston Arboretum members, otherwise $5.00.
- Advance registration is not available.
- Ruby C. McSwain Education Center, JC Raulston Arboretum at NC State University, 4415 Beryl Road, Raleigh, North Carolina.
- Need directions? Click here.
- Free parking is available at the JC Raulston Arboretum and along Beryl Road.
- Please call (919) 513-7005 for more information about this lecture.