"Creativity Outside the Box: Creating Abstract Photographs in the Garden"
Mary Louise Ravese, Bella Vista Photography
- Thursday, April 25, 2019 – 10:00 am–12:00 pm
The month of April at the Arboretum brings lots of colorful subjects. It's a great time to get creative with our photography, using our camera in unconventional ways to make unique, abstract images. In this session, we'll learn about creative camera techniques like long exposure camera movements and multiple exposures. Then we'll practice these new techniques using the colorful flowers and trees in the Arboretum.
What to bring: Ideally suited for DSLR and mirrorless cameras. Some techniques can also be achieved with point-and-shoot and smartphone cameras. On a bright day, a neutral density (ND) filter and/or a circular polarizing filter is essential to achieve the longer exposures needed for these techniques. Dark, polarizing sunglasses could be used in front of a smartphone camera lens. A tripod is helpful for some of the techniques, but not required.
About Mary Louise Ravese
Mary Louise Ravese specializes in fine art nature and travel photography from locations across the world. Her photographs are in private, university, and corporate collections in over 40 states and are exhibited nationally. She is the owner and principle photographer for Bella Vista Photography, and has a resident artist studio at 311 Gallery in Raleigh, North Carolina. Mary Louise is a regular speaker and competition judge for photography clubs in multiple states. She is an experienced photography instructor who has trained hundreds of amateur photographers. She enjoys teaching on a wide range of topics related to nature, travel, and creative photography, and can help with both the technical and aesthetic aspects of picture making. Mary Louise leads classes and workshops at a variety of locations across the United States and abroad. For more information visit her Web site at http://www.bellavistaphotography.com.
- $20.00 for members, $30.00 for nonmembers.
- Advance registration is required. Please register online using our registration e-store. Registration is limited to 12 people and is considered complete when payment is received.
- Program cancellations can be made up to two weeks prior to the program's start date. No refunds will be made after this time. A 15% cancellation fee applies.
- Ruby C. McSwain Education Center, JC Raulston Arboretum at NC State University, 4415 Beryl Road, Raleigh, North Carolina.
- Need directions? Click here.
- Free parking is available at the JC Raulston Arboretum and along Beryl Road.
- Please call (919) 513-7005 for more information about this program.