Friends of the Arboretum Lecture
"What's in a Name?"
Paul Fantz, Professor, Department of Horticultural Science, NC State University
- Thursday, April 17, 2008 – 7:30 pm–9:00 pm
Ever wonder why and how botanical names are used? If so, then this informal presentation on plant nomenclature is for you. Topics include: why plant names are changing; why genera are being reassigned to other families; international rules for plant names; hierarchy of plant categories; correct punctuation for names at various ranks; varieties versus cultivars; new germplasm documentation; legalized names; and modern reference sources for names.
- Free for Friends of the JC Raulston Arboretum members, NC State University students (with ID), and Department of Horticultural Science faculty and staff, all others $5.00.
- Advance registration is not available.
- Ruby C. McSwain Education Center, JC Raulston Arboretum at NC State University, 4415 Beryl Road, Raleigh, North Carolina.
- Need directions? Click here.
- Free parking is available at the JC Raulston Arboretum and along Beryl Road.
- Please call (919) 513-7005 for more information about this lecture.