Introduction to Oil Painting
- Saturday, October 6, 2018 – 10:00 am–12:30 pm
- Saturday, October 13, 2018 – 10:00 am–12:30 pm
- Saturday, October 20, 2018 – 10:00 am–12:30 pm
- Saturday, October 27, 2018 – 10:00 am–12:30 pm
- Saturday, November 3, 2018 – 10:00 am–12:30 pm
Painting is fun. It is a way to relax, to realize how creative energy is gift you give yourself, and a wonderful means of escaping into a world of your own design.
This course is designed for adults interested in learning how to paint with oils. It is a beginner level, five session class weekly class, but also helpful for those with a desire to return to painting or refresh their skills even if other mediums were used. Drawing, doodling, watching You Tube learn-to-draw videos, or picking up a very basic learn-to-draw book are all very helpful.
Day 1: Using Your Materials and Supplies, How to Care for Them
How to set up a space for painting at home so you can continue to practice. Discussion about terms and what they mean. How to use the color wheel. What are warm and cool colors and how to use them. How to layout your palette.
Day 2: Composition (Design)
How to start a painting. A beginner lesson in composition. We'll start with one simple object and paint it. No worries ... it's fun and the foundation for day three.
Discussions about what is art. Terms or language of art, such as plein air, what's all that info on a tube of paint, etc.
Day 3: Values
What are values and why are they the most important concept in any painting? We 'll paint them.
Day 4: Composition, Value, and Color
More composition and value and color studies as we dig deeper into perfecting these skills. The importance of brush strokes.
Day 5: Composition, Value, and Color II
Putting it all together.
Knowing these basics skills will encourage you to continue painting.
Although all the above are the plan, it's important to enjoy this journey. Painting is a process, but it needs to be fun, not intimidating. So, in that vein, our class time is informal, friendly, and open to questions, laughter, and discussions. You're an artist as soon as you've walked into class ... that's the only thing not up for discussion!
Participants in this painting course will be required to purchase their own supplies. A supplies list will be provided upon request. Please send your request to Chris Glenn at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you're interested in an intermediate class, please let Chris Glenn at email@example.com know of your interest.
- $130.00 for members, $160.00 for nonmembers.
- Advance registration is required. Please register online using our registration e-store. Registration is limited to 12 people and is considered complete when payment is received.
- The Yurt, JC Raulston Arboretum at NC State University, 4415 Beryl Road, Raleigh, North Carolina.
- Need directions? Click here.
- Free parking is available at the JC Raulston Arboretum and along Beryl Road.
- Please call (919) 513-7005 for more information about this course.