Not Tonight Deer: No More Long-legged Rats in Your Garden
Canceled Due to University Closing for Hurricane Florence
Frank Hyman, Cottage Garden Landscaping
- Saturday, September 15, 2018 – 1:00 pm–2:30 pm
Note: We've canceled Frank Hyman's class due to Hurricane Florence. We'll reschedule this program.
Suburban, rural, and even urban gardens can be devastated by our huge population of deer. Learn 1) which types of plants deer don't like, 2) which cost-effective fences keep deer out, and 3) how repellents can keep your plants free of deer. Frank has created five gardens that are growing well and free of deer damage. Frank will guide attendees using slides, stories, and Q&A on how to plant gardens that the deer will pass by (but woe be unto your neighbor).
Photography by woodleywonderworks (Flickr), https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/, changes were made
About Frank Hyman
Frank Hyman is the Cutting Edge Crops columnist for Hobby Farms magazine and the container columnist for Horticulture magazine. He designs award-winning gardens in Durham and has owned Cottage Garden Landscaping for 25 years. He earned his B.S. in horticulture and design from NC State University and studied under J. C. Raulston, Ph.D., and Will Hooker, M.L.A. His garden writing has also appeared in Organic Gardening, Modern Farmer, American Gardener, Carolina Gardener, and Fine Gardening. He's also a carpenter and has built deer-proof fences.
- $25.00 for members, $30.00 for nonmembers.
- Advance registration is required. Please register online using our registration e-store. Registration is limited to 24 people and is considered complete when payment is received.
- Program cancellations can be made up to two weeks before the program's start date. A 15% cancellation fee applies.
- Ruby C. McSwain Education Center, JC Raulston Arboretum at NC State University, 4415 Beryl Road, Raleigh, North Carolina.
- Need directions? Click here.
- Free parking is available at the JC Raulston Arboretum and along Beryl Road.
- Please call (919) 513-7005 for more information about this class.