North American Rock Garden Society (Piedmont Chapter) Lecture
Cohosted by the JC Raulston Arboretum and the Piedmont Chapter of the North American Rock Garden Society
"Trillium Hunting in the Southeast"
Jeremy Schmidt, Plant Delights Nursery
- Saturday, March 16, 2019 – 10:00 am–11:30 am
Jeremy Schmidt explores trilliums in situ where, much like humans, every group of trilliums speaks a different dialect that cannot be thoroughly and accurately understood or classified in herbaria alone. The taxonomic conversation continues every spring as trilliums emerge ex-situ in Juniper Level Botanic Garden. From a single climate, a single elevation, a single soil condition, and a single vantage point, JLGB staff continue the taxonomic discussion with representatives from trillium populations spanning 25,000 square miles across the southeastern United States. The environmental consistency within a single botanic garden provides a stable scientific foundation for our continued classification of Southeast trilliums. At JLBG, ex-situ conservation is where taxonomy meets "pointillism." Each population paints a dot on a map. With so many dots, JLBG is painting a detailed, groundbreaking pointillist picture of the genus Trillium as it occurs in the Southeast. Join Jeremy as he passionately shares his (and JLBG 's) love and understanding of the genus in hopes that everyone will know Trillium by name.
Refreshments for NARGS lectures are provided by the attendees. Members with the last names beginning with the letters R through T are encouraged to bring a morning treat.
- Free for North American Rock Garden Society (Piedmont Chapter) members and Friends of the JC Raulston Arboretum members, otherwise $5.00.
- Advance registration is not available.
- Ruby C. McSwain Education Center, JC Raulston Arboretum at NC State University, 4415 Beryl Road, Raleigh, North Carolina.
- Need directions? Click here.
- Free parking is available at the JC Raulston Arboretum and along Beryl Road.
- Please call (919) 513-7005 for more information about this lecture.