Summer Gardening Symposium
Featuring Bryce Lane, Anne Spafford, and Mark Weathington
- Saturday, July 28, 2018 – 8:30 am–12:00 pm
New gardeners and those that recently moved the Triangle are invited to participate in a new symposium at the JC Raulston Arboretum that's designed just for them. Bryce Lane, Anne Spafford, and Mark Weathington will discuss sustainable gardening techniques, landscape design, and top plants for our area, respectively.
This symposium is designed for new gardeners and gardeners new to the Triangle. We plan on recording this program and offering it on YouTube for everyone. We will also offer it as a live feed the day of the event.
Saturday, July 28, 2018
“The Power of Plants: A Sustainable Approach to Home Gardening”
Home gardeners are faced with the challenge of creating a landscape that is aesthetically pleasing, functional, and environmentally friendly. This talk focuses on practices gardeners can employ to be more sustainable, and successful (plants actually live and thrive over time) in their gardening endeavors! We will talk about evaluating and building soil, plant selection for success, site evaluation, heat load, dry shade and much, much more!
"Important Landscape Design Issues Facing Homeowners in the Triangle: How to Make the Most of Your Time, Energy, and Money"
Anne will give an introduction to landscape design (appropriate for both novices and professionals, and anyone in between) and cover important topics such as making the most of the space you have, low maintenance design strategies, water management, proper plant composition, selection and placement, companion plants, supporting pollinators and edibles. Be prepared for an hour full of helpful tips and design "hacks."
"Surefire, No-fail Plants for the South"
The variety of plants for our region is virtually limitless but not all plants are as easy as others. JC Raulston Arboretum director Mark Weathington will give his top picks for showy, easy care plants for the South.
- Advance registration is required. Please register online using our registration e-store. Registration is limited and is considered complete when the online registration process is completed.
- Ruby C. McSwain Education Center, JC Raulston Arboretum at NC State University, 4415 Beryl Road, Raleigh, North Carolina.
- Need directions? Click here.
- Free parking is available at the JC Raulston Arboretum and along Beryl Road.
- Please call (919) 513-7005 for more information about this symposium.