Friends of the Arboretum Lecture
"Nature's Medicine Chest"
Alton J. Banks, Ph.D., Professor Emeritus, and Jeremiah Feducia, Teaching Assistant Professor, Department of Chemistry, NC State University
- Thursday, February 8, 2018 – 7:30 pm–9:00 pm
Plant's are nature's chemists. Ethnobotanist Richard Schultes said "Plants live by their chemical wits." Plants create numerous chemicals compounds including some that are nutritious, therapeutic, hallucinogenic, or poisonous. In this presentataion, Alton and Jeremy will discuss of some chemicals that can be isolated from plants growing at the JC Raulston Arboretum. The use of these chemicals for medicinal purposes will be described as will how they're isolated.
About Alton Banks and Jeremiah Feducia
Alton Banks, Professor Emeritus of Chemistry at NC State University, received his Ph.D. from Vanderbilt University. His career included 42 years, the last 26 of which were spent at NC State. His chemical specialties included, in the early years, heavy metal poisoning, and most recently work on chemical education, especially alternative methods to assist students in learning chemistry.
Jeremiah Feducia, teaching assistant professor, Department of Chemistry, NC State University, Ph.D. from UNC-Chapel Hill. Jeremy Feducia teaches General and Organic Chemistry as well as a Chemistry and War course in which the chemicals presented appear in lecture topics. In addition to teaching, he coordinates outreach efforts within the department.
- Free for Friends of the JC Raulston Arboretum members, NC State University students (with ID), and Department of Horticultural Science faculty and staff, all others $5.00.
- Advance registration is not available.
- Ruby C. McSwain Education Center, JC Raulston Arboretum at NC State University, 4415 Beryl Road, Raleigh, North Carolina.
- Need directions? Click here.
- Free parking is available at the JC Raulston Arboretum and along Beryl Road.
- Please call (919) 513-7005 for more information about this lecture.