Fern Propagation Workshop
Bob Payne, Wake County Extension Master Gardener
- Saturday, November 11, 2017 – 9:00 am–12:00 pm
Learn about the reproductive cycle of ferns and how to propagate them from spores in this hands-on workshop. Participants will be introduced to terms like gametophyte and sporophyte and will clean and sow spores and divide gametophytes and sporophytes. Each participant will take home a variety of ferns in various stages of development.
About Bob Payne
Bob Payne is a Extension Master Gardener with Wake County. He has been involved in gardening his entire life and inherited his love of plants from his mother. Bob has had gardens in New Mexico, Arizona, and Florida before moving to North Carolina almost 28 years ago. Faced with landscapes that have been dominated by large red and white oaks, he has come to enjoy the challenges and opportunities associated with shade gardening. He developed a particular interest in ferns and their propagation—a group of plants he feels that are underutilized and underappreciated. Bob has a B.S.Ag. (entomology/plant pathology) and B.S.N, from the University of Delaware and a M.H.A. from Duke University. He currently works for Duke University Hospital as an operations administrator.
- $40.00 for members, $55.00 for nonmembers.
- Advance registration is required. Please register online using our registration e-store. Registration is limited to 18 people and is considered complete when payment is received.
- Program cancellations can be made up to two weeks prior to the program's start date. No refunds will be made after this time. A 15% cancellation fee applies.
- Ruby C. McSwain Education Center, JC Raulston Arboretum at NC State University, 4415 Beryl Road, Raleigh, North Carolina.
- Need directions? Click here.
- Free parking is available at the JC Raulston Arboretum and along Beryl Road.
- Please call (919) 513-7005 for more information about this workshop.