Day Tripping to Pat McCracken's Garden and Camellia Forest's New Wendell Nursery
- Tuesday, April 25, 2017 – 9:00 am–2:30 pm
Wait List:We've started a wait list for this program. To be added, please contact Chris Glenn at (919) 513-7005 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our second adventure of the spring season will be a tour of Pat McCracken's private collection and greenhouses. After lunch on a lovely shaded deck overlooking a cliffside garden, we will then visit the nearby growing facility being developed by Camellia Forest. Pat has overseen the development of this new site and will discuss the thought process behind making and keeping the facility environmentally friendly and the challenges of designing a new nursery; building large, interconnected greenhouses; and providing water on what was a pine-forested site with a small pond. We will hear about the range of plants to be grown and economic goals of this brand new site. Pat will address the issues of getting a plant through the US Patent office as well. Bonus: there will be plants for sale!
9:00 am – Depart JCRA
9:30 am – Tour of Pat McCracken's's gardens and get story of new greenhouse. Discussion of process of a patent plant based on one or more that Pat and Camellia Forest have in process.
11:30 am – Lunch
12:30 pm – Travel about 5 min. to new Camellia Forest site. Description of starting a nursery from scratch.
2:00 pm – Leave for JCRA
2:30 pm – Arrive JCRA
Note: The photograph is of Ilex crenata 'Adorned' (one of Pat's introductions) taken at Juniper Level Botanic Garden.
- $15.00 for members, $20.00 for nonmembers.
- Advance registration is required. Please register online using our registration e-store. Registration is limited to 20 people and is considered complete when payment is received.
- Program cancellations can be made up to two weeks prior to the program's start date. No refunds will be made after this time. A 15% cancellation fee applies.
- The tour departs from the JC Raulston Arboretum at 4415 Beryl Road.
- Need directions? Click here.
- Free parking is available at the JC Raulston Arboretum and along Beryl Road.
- Please call (919) 513-7005 for more information about this tour.