Landscape Potential I: Approaches to Design
Preston Montague, Landscape Designer and Botanical Illustrator
- Saturday, October 8, 2016 – 9:00 am–11:00 am
Consider the performance of your home landscape. Would you describe it as a fit, functional work of art that reflects your lifestyle and encourages outdoor activity? If not, join Raleigh-based landscape designer Preston Montague at the JCRA for a design course series that will help you revise and reboot your outdoor space.
Landscape Potential I will introduce participants to the process designers use to develop concepts, solve problems, and map the landscape. This exciting two-part course begins with an introduction to landscape design full of tips and tactics that will empower anyone to go home and begin designing immediately. Following the introduction class is a practicum in which participants individually bring in photos and maps of their property for a one-on-one consultation with Preston to work out any problems they may be facing or to work in tandem on a design.
By the end of the two-part course, participants will have not only learned techniques for solving problems as a designer, but will also have personalized professional advice for developing the potential of their home's most dynamic room.
Participants wishing to take the practicum portion of this program need to register for it separately by calling Chris Glenn at (919) 513-7005. To ensure availability, please contact Chris prior to registering online. Individual, one-hour sessions with Preston are available on Saturday, October 15 and Sunday, October 16 from 1:00 pm to 6:00 pm.
The following practicum times are already taken:
Saturday, October 15
1:00 PM - Louise
2:00 PM - Robert
3:00 PM - George
4:00 PM - JoEllen
5:00 PM - Patricia
Sunday, October 16
1:00 PM - Ellen
2:00 PM - Kim
3:00 PM - Allyson
4:00 PM - Frances
5:00 PM - Hank
All supplies provided by Preston, but students taking the practicum are required to bring photographs, GIS map, plat, and/or survey of property, an inventory and analysis (which will be outlined in the seminar portion of the course), as well as photographs of landscapes they find desirable.
- $30.00 for members, $40.00 for nonmembers for October 8 class; $120.00 for members, $160.00 for nonmembers for October 8 class and an October 15 or 16 practicum.
- Advance registration is required. Please register online using our registration e-store. Registration is limited to 24 people and is considered complete when payment is received.
- Program cancellations can be made up to two weeks prior to the program's start date. No refunds will be made after this time. A 15% cancellation fee applies.
- Class: JC Raulston Arboretum, 4415 Beryl Road, Raleigh, NC 27606; Practicum: Kilgore Hall, NC State University, 2721 Founders Drive, Raleigh, NC 27607
- Need directions? Click here.
- Free parking is available at the JC Raulston Arboretum and along Beryl Road.
- Contact Chris Glenn at (919) 513-7005 or firstname.lastname@example.org for more information about this course.