Day Tripping to J. C. Raulston Exhibit in the D. H. Hill Library
Bobby Ward, Ph.D., J. C. Raulston Biographer
- Wednesday, July 20, 2016 – 9:30 am–11:30 am
Join garden writer and J. C. Raulston biographer Bobby Ward for a guided tour of the NCSU Libraries' exhibit "Plan—and Plant for a Better World" J. C. Raulston and the North Carolina State University Arboretum. The exhibit celebrates the life and work of innovative horticulturist and teacher J. C. Raulston and showcases his unique contributions to NC State, his students, and the many colleagues, nursery owners, landscape designers, and gardeners who learned and benefited from his passionate work.
The visually dynamic exhibit draws upon J. C.'s rich archive of travel notebooks, lecture notes, ephemera, and correspondence, as well as a collection of over 83,000 color slides. Hear some of the fascinating stories behind the objects, images, and plant specimens introduced or promoted by J. C. and the Arboretum.
Anyone interested in University history, horticulture, travel, or photography will enjoy exploring the life and times of this unique NC State leader. Bring your own J. C. story to share, and document it in our colorful guest book.
The NCSU Libraries, which houses J. C. Raulston's papers in its Special Collections Research Center, has produced an 80-page, full-color catalog to accompany the exhibit. It is available for purchase for $15.00 (regularly $20.00) for tour guests on the day of the tour.
Participants will take a NC State Wolfline bus to the D. H. Hill Library on NC State University's campus. The Wolfline is free and open to the public. University identification cards are not required to ride their buses.
- $10.00 for members, $15.00 for nonmembers.
- Advance registration is required. Please register online using our registration e-store. Registration is limited to 20 people and is considered complete when payment is received.
- Program cancellations can be made up to two weeks prior to the program's start date. No refunds will be made after this time. A 15% cancellation fee applies.
- The tour departs from the JC Raulston Arboretum at 4415 Beryl Road.
- Need directions? Click here.
- Free parking is available at the JC Raulston Arboretum and along Beryl Road.
- Please call (919) 513-7005 for more information about this tour.