Drawing in Nature IV: Botanical Illustrations in Colored Pencil and Watercolor
Preston Montague, Landscape Designer and Botanical Illustrator
- Saturday, July 30, 2016 – 9:00 am–12:00 pm
- Saturday, August 6, 2016 – 9:00 am–12:00 pm
- Saturday, August 13, 2016 – 9:00 am–12:00 pm
Drawing in Nature IV introduces participants to basic techniques of combining watercolor paints with colored pencils to produce rich botanical illustrations. Designed for enthusiasts with little to no artistic training, this multimedia course provides the foundational observation and sketching techniques of previous Drawing in Nature classes with new approaches to creating vibrant color and stunning detail! Classes may be held indoors or outdoors depending on weather.
Students are asked to bring the supplies listed below. If you are unfamiliar, or perhaps a little intimidated by the material specifics, friendly folks at your local art supply store will happily help you assemble what you need:
- Watercolor sketchpad (5" × 7" to 8.5" × 11" preferred)
- #2 pencils
- Pencil sharpener
- Colored pencils (basic Crayola brand okay, Faber Castell brand preferred) 12 to 36-piece set
- Watercolor set (basic Crayola brand okay, more advanced set preferred)
- Several thin, round, sharp-tipped watercolor brushes (Windsor Newton brand preferred: brush series 111 Round #0, #2, and #4)
- Hand towel or paper towels
- Two small cups for water
- $120.00 for members, $150.00 for nonmembers.
- Advance registration is required. Please register online using our registration e-store. Registration is limited to 10 people and is considered complete when payment is received.
- Program cancellations can be made up to two weeks before the program's start date. A 15% cancellation fee applies.
- JC Raulston Arboretum, 4415 Beryl Road, Raleigh, NC 27606.
- Need directions? Click here.
- Free parking is available at the JC Raulston Arboretum and along Beryl Road.
- Contact Chris Glenn at (919) 513-7005 or firstname.lastname@example.org for more information about this course.