Day Tripping to the Carl Alwin Schenck Memorial Forest
- Tuesday, November 3, 2015 – 8:40 am–11:30 am
So, who knows about another well-kept horticultural secret in Raleigh? If you don't know about the 25-acre Carl Alwin Schenck Memorial Forest, run by the College of Natural Resources at NC State University, you will have an opportunity to experience it under the tutelage of Glenn Catts, Ph.D., and director of CNR Forest Operations. A tour will be offered by Glenn beginning at 9:00 AM and lasting approximately two hours. Even if you are familiar with the forest, join us for this enlightening visit!
Come learn how the forest is used as a teaching laboratory for subjects such as forestry, botany, ecology, and soils. Other studies are being done in genetics, hydrology, wildlife habitat, and tree growth. This is a great way to learn more about a place where you can see birds, plant, and animal wildlife along trails open to the public—all in city limits.
Wear comfortable walking or hiking boots and appropriate clothing for the weather on the day. The tour is rain or shine!
Vans will leave the JCRA at 8:40 am and arrive in time for a tour at 9:00 am tour. Van transportation is included with each registration. Parking is limited and every participant is expected to travel in the vans.
Eat lunch nearby and return to the JC Raulston Arboretum for the 1:00 PM Plantsmen's Tour.
- $10.00 for members, $15.00 for nonmembers.
- Advance registration is required. Please register online using our registration e-store. Registration is limited to 20 people and is considered complete when payment is received.
- Program cancellations can be made up to two weeks prior to the program's start date. No refunds will be made after this time. A 15% cancellation fee applies.
- Tour departs from the Visitor Center at the JC Raulston Arboretum at NC State University, 4415 Beryl Road, Raleigh, North Carolina at 8:40 AM.
- Need directions? Click here.
- Free parking is available at the JC Raulston Arboretum and along Beryl Road.
- Please call (919) 513-7005 for more information about this tour.