Landscape Potential III: Designing for Songbirds with Shrubs and Trees
Preston Montague, Landscape Designer and Botanical Illustrator
- Saturday, September 19, 2015 – 1:00 pm–3:00 pm
Landscape Potential III will introduce participants to the planning and implementation strategies design professionals use to bring songbirds to the garden with shrubs and trees. This two-part course includes an introduction to designing with shrubs and trees, tips and tactics for successful planting, and species suggestions that birds find irresistible! Following the introduction class is a practicum in which participants bring in photos and maps of their property for a one-on-one consultation with Preston to develop a landscape for bird lovers!
By the end of the two-part course, participants will have not only learned how to design with shrubs and trees, but will also have personalized professional advice for developing a sanctuary for year-round bird watching.
Participants wishing to take the practicum portion of this program need to register for it separately by calling Chris Glenn at (919) 513-7005. To ensure availability, please contact Chris prior to registering online. Individual, one-hour sessions with Preston are available on Saturday, September 26 from 1:00 PM to 6:00 PM.
The following practicum times are already taken:
Saturday, September 26
1:00 PM - Cheryl
2:00 PM - Jesse and Barbara
3:00 PM - Jesse and Barbara
4:00 PM - Scott
All supplies provided by Preston, but students taking the practicum are required to bring photographs, GIS map, plat, and/or survey of property, an inventory and analysis (which will be outlined in the seminar portion of the course), as well as a list of desired shrubs and trees.
Other Design Courses
Landscape Potential III is the third course in a four course offering. Those interested in design programs should find these interesting as well:
- Landscape Potential I: Approaches to Design
- Landscape Potential II: Perennial Bed Design for Pollinators
- Landscape Potential IV: Improving Curb Appeal Through Foundation Planting
- $30.00 for members, $40.00 for nonmembers for September 19 class; $90.00 for members, $120.00 for nonmembers for September 19 class and September 26 practicum.
- Advance registration is required. Please register online using our registration e-store. Registration is limited to 24 people and 10 for the practicum and is considered complete when payment is received. Please call Chris Glenn at (919) 513-7005 to schedule the practicum appointment.
- Program cancellations can be made through Saturday, September 5, 2015. No refunds will be made after September 5. A 15% cancellation fee applies.
- JC Raulston Arboretum, 4415 Beryl Road, Raleigh, NC 27606.
- Need directions? Click here.
- Free parking is available at the JC Raulston Arboretum and along Beryl Road.
- Contact Chris Glenn at (919) 513-7005 or firstname.lastname@example.org for more information about this course.