Friends of the Arboretum Lecture
"Magnolias for the Southeast: My Passport to the World"
Cheryl Kearns, JCRA Board of Advisors and Magnolia Society International Member
- Thursday, February 12, 2015 – 7:30 pm–9:00 pm
Editing the Magnolia Society International's journal has brought Cheryl the pleasures of vicarious travel to many parts of the world, learning about the people and places where magnolias are collected, bred, studied, discovered, or saved from extinction. Within the United States, she has traveled widely and met other magnoliaphiles, from enthusiastic hobby gardeners like herself to those who have been instrumental in promoting magnolias on a global scale. Pack your bags and prepare for a whirlwind tour as Cheryl shares some of her adventures, the people she has met and the insights she has gained about the magical genus Magnolia.
About Cheryl Kearns
Cheryl Doyle Kearns left the snow-covered garden she created in snowy Vermont (Zone 3) and moved to North Carolina over 20 years ago, where she substituted winter gardening for the skiing and skating she missed. Early on, she joined and volunteered at the JCRA and, like many, has pushed the envelope or pleaded ignorance in attempts to get unusual plants to grow in her new location.
To share her passion, Cheryl has taught evening classes at Wake Tech in gardening, owned a landscape business, and has spent several hours volunteering at the JCRA. She is a member of the Board of Advisors at JCRA and editor for the Magnolia Society International, which is also a Board of Directors position.
- Free for Friends of the JC Raulston Arboretum members, NC State University students (with ID), and Department of Horticultural Science faculty and staff, all others $5.00.
- Advance registration is not available.
- Ruby C. McSwain Education Center, JC Raulston Arboretum at NC State University, 4415 Beryl Road, Raleigh, North Carolina.
- Need directions? Click here.
- Free parking is available at the JC Raulston Arboretum and along Beryl Road.
- Please call (919) 513-7005 for more information about this lecture.