P-Squared: Planting & Pruning for the Home Gardener
Bryce Lane, Alumni Distinguished Undergraduate Professor Emeritus and Lecturer Emeritus, Department of Horticultural Science, NC State University
Mondays, September 11 through October 16, 2023 – 6:30 pm–8:30 pm
By mastering the skills and techniques of planting & pruning we can be sure that all of our plants will establish successfully and be maintained properly. Here is a six-week class that explores these two critical gardening activities!
On the front end, we will discuss all things planting: best times to plant, correct techniques, as well as specifics for woodies, herbaceous perennials, and annuals. In the second half of the class we will focus on pruning, a very important, yet often misunderstood plant maintenance activity. From theory, to tools, to technique, to timing, your planting and pruning knowledge & skills will be improved and enhanced!
This class is available In-person and Online, with recordings of the lectures being posted weekly. Need to miss class one week? No worries, you can join us live via Zoom for any of the class sessions. Can't do Monday nights? Still not worried; recordings of the lectures as well as supplemental class materials are made available to all participants weekly, and Bryce is just an email away for any questions you might have!
About Bryce Lane
Bryce has been teaching students, home gardeners and garden professionals for over 40 years. Many may know Bryce from his UNC TV public television show called "In the Garden With Bryce Lane" which was on the air for 11 seasons and won three Emmys. Others may know him as a student from his time in the Department of Horticultural Science at NC State University.
Growing up in Western Massachusetts, Bryce discovered his passion for plants and telling others about them while working at a local garden center through high school and college. After earning his B.S. in plant science from the University of Massachusetts in 1979 and an M.S. in horticulture from The Ohio State University in 1981, he came to the Department of Horticultural Science at NC State University where he taught in the two-year and four-year programs, majors and non-majors, served as the undergraduate coordinator and even the interim director of the JC Raulston Arboretum.
He has received numerous local, regional, and national teaching awards and is frequently invited to speak at many workshops and symposia, about teaching as well as horticulture and gardening. Most importantly, he has been married for 45 years to his high school sweetheart, has two happily married daughters, and six incredible grandchildren. He is an avid gardener who has gardened in the same spot for more than 39 years with many stories, advice and passion to share with other gardeners regardless of their experience!
- $250.00 for members, $300.00 for nonmembers. Note to nonmembers: instead of paying $50.00 more for the program, become a member for $50.00 instead.
- Advance registration is required. Please register online using our registration e-store (in person attendance or online attendance). Registration is limited and is considered complete when payment is received.
- Program cancellations can be made up to two weeks before the program's start date. A 15% cancellation fee applies.
- JC Raulston Arboretum at NC State University, 4415 Beryl Road, Raleigh, NC 27606.
- Need directions? Click here.
- Free parking is available at the JC Raulston Arboretum and along Beryl Road.
- Please write firstname.lastname@example.org for more information about this class.