Friends of the Arboretum Lecture
"Inside the Successful Gardener Guide"
Toby Bost, Consulting Horticulturist and Field Faculty Emeritus, N.C. Cooperative Extension, and Leah Chester-Davis, Director of Communications, NC State's Plants for Human Health Institute
- Thursday, November 17, 2011 – 7:30 pm–9:00 pm
The Successful Gardener Guide is a compilation of the best of Extension's Successful Gardener newsletters and written specifically for North Carolina gardeners, as well as updated chapters on gardening calendars and hot new plants. It includes gardening features; 70 top plant choices, which were known in the newsletter as the JC Raulston Arboretum Plant Focus; a seasonal gardening calendar for each of the state's three regions; enviro-tips; a Q&A section; and tried-and-true and hot new plants for Carolina gardeners. Leah will share information on the book project, how it came to be and what it includes. Toby will discuss some of the plants. Photography in the book includes photos from former JCRA directors Bob Lyons and Denny Werner.
About the Speakers
Toby Bost has been a popular garden writer for over 30 years. He served as assistant editor of Extension's Successful Gardener and is a consulting horticulturist and field faculty emeritus of N.C. Cooperative Extension. He has published three gardening books, including The Carolina Gardener's Guide. Toby currently writes garden features for Carolina Gardener magazine.
Leah Chester-Davis was the founding editor of Extension's Successful Gardener and served as the newsletter's editor and team leader for nearly 10 years. She is director of communications for NC State's Plants for Human Health Institute at the N.C. Research Campus in Kannapolis. She started and coordinates the Produce Lady program. She is currently writing the biography of John L. Creech, Ph.D., world-famous plant hunter.
- Free for Friends of the JC Raulston Arboretum members, NC State University students (with ID), and Department of Horticultural Science faculty and staff, all others $5.00.
- Advance registration is not available.
- Ruby C. McSwain Education Center, JC Raulston Arboretum at NC State University, 4415 Beryl Road, Raleigh, North Carolina.
- Need directions? Click here.
- Free parking is available at the JC Raulston Arboretum and along Beryl Road.
- Please call (919) 513-7005 for more information about this lecture.