Macro Photography Workshop
Registration Closed – Wait List Started
Susan Bailey and Melissa Southern, Carolinas' Nature Photographers Association – Triangle Region
- Thursday, May 12, 2011 – 7:00 pm–9:00 pm
- Saturday, May 14, 2011 – 8:00 am–3:00 pm
This course will cover macro photography from various angles, discussing, and practicing with depth of field, background adjustment, and lighting techniques. We will discuss framing and compositional awareness. We will discuss key factors in creating a successful macro photograph. We will explore macro photography from many different directions to capture the little worlds that most people miss.
May 12, 2011 (Thursday)
7:00 PM-9:00 PM – lecture
May 14, 2011 (Saturday)
8:00 AM-10:00 AM – photograph in the gardens
10:00 AM-12:00 PM – process images on laptop with review
12:00 PM-12:30 PM – lunch
12:30 PM-2:00 PM – photograph in the gardens
2:00 PM-3:00 PM – post-processing and sharing
Requirements and Recommendations
Workshop attendees should plan on bringing the following to the workshop:
- Camera (DSLR camera preferred, point and shoot okay (limitations will exist, though)
- Notepad for lecture and in the garden
- Macro lens and/or close-focusing zooms – some method of taking close-up shots
- Zoom (lens(es))
- Wide-angle zoom (e.g., 28-80 mm) is especially nice for garden work
- Accessories such as LiteDiscs, diffusion screens, off-camera flashes, reflectors, plamps to hold flowers, etc.
- Tarp, trash bag, or garden pad in case the ground is wet
Susan and Melissa will bring close-up filters, extension tubes, and other accessories for macro photography that will work with most cameras.
Susan Bailey is an award-winning photographer specializing in garden and flower photography. She is a graduate of the New York Institute of Photography. Her business is Sunrise Designs. Susan has judged many competitions and recently earned the Photographic Society of America Judging Certification.
An award-winning photographer and presenter, Melissa Southern has been shooting since childhood and a working professional since 2003. She has photographed in Ireland, England, France, Kentucky, California, and Mexico as well as all over North Carolina and the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. Melissa is a member of Nikon Professional Services and Wimberley Professional Services and is a sponsored Lowepro Photographer. Melissa is represented by MyStock with photographs in the Guide to the National Museum of Natural History at the Smithsonian Institution, Nature Photographer Magazine, various product magazines, and several other publications. She has presented at Grandfather Mountain, Recreational Equipment Inc. (REI), and the City of Orlando. She works as the Forensic Photographer in Wake County, NC. She maintains memberships in the North American Nature Photography Association and the Carolina Nature Photographer's Association. Melissa has a B.A. in Anthropology and an Associate Degree in Photography.
1st Annual Juried Print Competition
August 28, 2011 (Sunday) – Opening Reception
2:00 PM–5:00 PM
August 29, 2011–September 30, 2011 (Monday–Friday) – Exhibit
8:00 AM–5:00 PM
Sponsored by the JC Raulston Arboretum and the Triangle Carolinas' Nature Photography Association
Calling all photographers! Do you have an eye for beauty? Would you like to share your work with other people who would appreciate it? If so, the Juried Print Competition. is for you. Adults and youth can submit original photographic prints made from images taken at JC Raulston Arboretum during the last two years. Distinguished judges will determine the winning images and cash awards will be presented. The winning prints along with the judges' favorites will be displayed at the Arboretum during the month of September for the public to see. Don't delay! Start capturing your favorite images at JC Raulston Arboretum today. Maybe yours will become "Best in Show.".
- $110.00 for members, $130.00 for nonmembers.
- Advance registration is required and is limited to 15 people (11 minimum). Please call (919) 513-7005 to register.
- Ruby C. McSwain Education Center, JC Raulston Arboretum at NC State University, 4415 Beryl Road, Raleigh, North Carolina.
- Need directions? Click here.
- Free parking is available at the JC Raulston Arboretum and along Beryl Road.
- Please call (919) 513-7005 for more information about this workshop.