Herbaceous Perennials Class
Cheryl Kearns, JCRA Volunteer and Board Member
- Sunday, October 30, 2011 – 1:00 pm–2:00 pm
The JCRA has a wide and colorful collection of perennials in bloom almost all year, beginning in January with hellebores and Algerian iris, and ending in late autumn with asters and salvias, with many more too numerous to mention. We are going to look at some that can be used in the landscape in this area—those which will tolerate our NC soils, dry spots and wet, our summer heat—and our recently colder winters. Bulbs, ground covers, clumpers, those that bloom long periods, those that are less bold, and perennials that offer a rainbow of color for your garden will be some of the aspects we will discuss in the course. Bring your cameras and notebooks!
Classes of about one hour will be offered in pairs of weekends to showcase various seasons, except during the summer. You can sign up for one class, a pair, or all. Class size limited to 15. First come, first served.
October 2 and October 30 (Sundays) – 1:00 PM – Autumn Perennials
Cheryl Doyle Kearns is a long-time member and volunteer of the JCRA, now also a board member. She has worked in Raleigh area nurseries for over 10 years, serving as the perennials manager for one garden center. She currently teaches horticultural classes in the Continuing Education division of Wake Technical Community College. A member of Garden Writers Association, she writes the Green Thumb column for Circa magazine and edits the newsletter and journal for the Magnolia Society International. Her garden in Franklin County is an eclectic mix of old-fashioned favorites and cutting edge or rare plants.
- Each session is $12 for Friends of the JC Raulston Arboretum members, all others $15.00. Class pairs are $22 for members and $28 for nonmembers. Students may enroll for as many sessions as they wish.
- Contact Chris Glenn at (919) 513-7005 or email@example.com to register for this class. Registration is limited to 15 people and is considered complete when payment is received. Cancellations can be made through October 20, 2011 (Friday).
- Ruby C. McSwain Education Center, JC Raulston Arboretum at NC State University, 4415 Beryl Road, Raleigh, North Carolina.
- Need directions? Click here.
- Free parking is available at the JC Raulston Arboretum and along Beryl Road.
- Please call (919) 513-7005 for more information about this class.