Friends of the Arboretum Lecture
And Book Launch
"Chlorophyll In His Veins: J. C. Raulston, Horticultural Ambassador"
Bobby Ward, Ph.D., and Roy Dicks, Authors
- Thursday, December 3, 2009 – 7:30 pm–9:00 pm
Bobby Ward, Ph.D., and Roy Dicks were lucky enough to be friends with J. C. Raulston for a decade before his untimely passing in 1996. As the 10th anniversary of J. C.'s death approached in 2006, Bobby and Roy felt it was time to have a permanent document of the life of such a significant plantsman, teacher, and personality.
They began a three-year quest to gather information about J. C. from friends, family, students, and colleagues, as well as from documents and records concerning his academic, horticultural, and social life. The result is their nearly completed book, Chlorophyll In His Veins: J. C. Raulston, Horticultural Ambassador.
Bobby and Roy will talk about the process of gathering the information and the challenges in getting the book published. The talk will include many little known facts and stories about J. C.'s childhood in Oklahoma, his military service, and his academic positions in Maryland, Florida, and Texas prior to coming to NC State University. They'll also discuss J. C.'s role in the establishment of the NCSU Arboretum, his outreach to the nursery industry, and his mentoring and teaching.
Book Launch and Signing
Join us for the launch of Chlorophyll In His Veins: J. C. Raulston, Horticultural Ambassador. Books will be available for purchase and signing. A substantial portion of the sales will benefit the JC Raulston Arboretum.
- Free for Friends of the JC Raulston Arboretum members, NC State University students (with ID), and Department of Horticultural Science faculty and staff, all others $5.00.
- Advance registration is not available.
- Ruby C. McSwain Education Center, JC Raulston Arboretum at NC State University, 4415 Beryl Road, Raleigh, North Carolina.
- Need directions? Click here.
- Free parking is available at the JC Raulston Arboretum and along Beryl Road.
- Please call (919) 513-7005 for more information about this lecture.