Friends of the Arboretum Lecture
"Hardy Palms for North Carolina"
Gary Hollar, Gary's Nursery
- Thursday, May 22, 2008 – 7:30 pm–9:00 pm
Many people vacation in tropical paradises and marvel at the lush landscapes filled with beautiful palms. Despite this, palms are not commonly planted in our landscapes. If you've ever imagined having your own paradise, this lecture is for you. Join Gary Hollar as he discusses hardy palms for North Carolina gardeners. We'll learn which palms are the hardiest and how to grow them.
Gary's presentation is a perfect preview of our "Day Tripping to New Bern's Palm Paradise" trip on June 7, 2008 (Saturday). On this day-long trip, we'll visit Gary's Nursery, growers of cold hardy palms, in New Bern and the natural area behind the Havelock Tourist and Event Center and Aviation Exhibit in Havelock to see Sabal minor in its natural habitat.
- Free for Friends of the JC Raulston Arboretum members, NC State University students (with ID), and Department of Horticultural Science faculty and staff, all others $5.00.
- Advance registration is not available.
- Ruby C. McSwain Education Center, JC Raulston Arboretum at NC State University, 4415 Beryl Road, Raleigh, North Carolina.
- Need directions? Click here.
- Free parking is available at the JC Raulston Arboretum and along Beryl Road.
- Please call (919) 513-7005 for more information about this lecture.