Landscape Design Lecture
"Timeless Landscape Design: The Four-Part Master Plan"
Mary Palmer Dargan, Dargan Landscape Architects
- Thursday, April 26, 2007 – 7:30 pm–9:00 pm
A well designed garden takes more than plants and flowers to consider it eye-catching. Hugh and Mary Palmer Dargan, ASLAs, explore the depth of visual art in landscape design in their new book Timeless Landscape Design: The Four-Part Master Plan. According to the outdoor design duo, the map to creating flawless landscapes lies in the unique four-part master plan and the skillful application of the art elements: line, color, form, and texture, as well as broader design principles such as proportion, scale, and focalization. Combined, these techniques are the groundwork for defining "timeless landscapes" – those that please the eye, nourish the soul, and make living easier.
Join Mary Palmer as she shares a blend of specific design techniques and practical advice on how to achieve the sophisticated look of a professionally designed landscape on any size or type of property. Examples of specific design treatments are beautifully illustrated with lush color photography taken from their own archives and landscape plans of their client's gardens. Illustrations of historic gardens from around the world that inspired to the authors are included as well as before and after examples of the authors' award-winning work.
Not only do these design principles affect gardens, but the landscape as a whole has a unique language, a language of the land, that reflects how man organizes residential spaces. This language is distilled into the four part master plan consisting of approach and arrival sequence, hub, perimeter and passages to destinations. Anyone can improve a property of any size or description by appying this unique approach to their landscape!
Take your landscape to school!
Timeless Landscape Design: The Four-Part Master Plan will be available prior to and after the lecture for $32.50 (includes tax). Please make checks to Dargan Gardens.
- $10.00 for Friends of the JC Raulston Arboretum members, NC State University students (with ID), and Department of Horticultural Science faculty and staff, all others $15.00. Bring your membership card to check in quickly, but as always, we will have a membership list at registration.
- Advance registration is not available.
- Ruby C. McSwain Education Center at the JC Raulston Arboretum.
- Need directions? Click here.
- Free parking is available at the JC Raulston Arboretum and along Beryl Road.
- Please call (919) 513-7005 for more information about this event.